Forget botox for beautiful skin and beautiful hair this winter, we swear by bone broth. This detoxifying bone broth with thousands of benefits stands out as the all-natural health and beauty remedy of choice. Not for nothing is this recipe used in Chinese medicine for more than 2,500 years. Long popular on the other side of the Atlantic where they are served in trendy cafes, these beauty elixirs have everything to tempt French men and women looking to capitalize on their collagen and protein intake.
Bone broth: what if this was the best way to increase our collagen?
Vegetarians and vegans abstain, it is from carcasses and bones of chicken and beef, cooked for several hours with vegetables and herbs (count between twelve and forty-eight hours), that bone broth is made. But this also makes them true collagen concentrates. This protein of natural origin, used for decades by the cosmetic industry, acts as an anti-aging ally and works on skin elasticity, skin hydration and joint flexibility.
Specifically, a serving of bone broth of approximately 250 ml can contain up to 10 g of collagen, when a capsule of a dietary supplement will only contain between 0.5 and 4 g. This is also the reason why bone broths are considered an excellent alternative to Botox, as they help to smooth the skin and improve its elasticity. They will also be involved in repairing the hair fiber by covering the cuticle (the outer layer of the hair) and providing hydration. What helps to limit hair loss and to activate their regrowth.
And as if that weren’t enough, bone broths are also loaded with vitamins, calcium, and glycine, an amino acid with antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and digestive properties. Therefore, they will help detoxify the liver, stimulate the immune system and improve the quality of sleep.
Therefore, we will especially appreciate consuming it in winter to compensate for the slight drop in diet. If it is possible to choose ready-to-eat broth remedies, there are also numerous recipes for preparing them at home.
How to make homemade bone broth?
We especially remember this recipe spotted on the Sauvonsnotrepeau site, relatively easy to follow:
To make chicken bone broth, you will need:
- the carcass of a chicken
- 2 carrots
- 2 green leeks
- 2 tablespoons organic cider vinegar or a glass of white wine
- 1 onion, 2 cloves, 3 garlic cloves
- Parsley, rosemary, thyme, bay leaf…
- Turmeric, ginger, nutmeg
- Sea salt, black pepper
- Place the carcass in a very large tray
- Cover generously with cold water
- Boil for 15 minutes on high heat
- Skim the broth, lower the heat and simmer for 2 hours
- The broth should be colored and clear
- Add raw vegetables, cut into large pieces
- Add 2 tablespoons of organic cider vinegar (the acidity of the vinegar draws the minerals from the bones)
- Cover and simmer on very low heat for 2 hours or more
- 1 hour before the end of cooking, add the herbs and roots
- Turn off heat, remove leftover vegetables and herbs and discard
- Strain the broth
- Salt, pepper, the more your broth gelatinizes as it cools, the more it means it’s rich in collagen.