Preparation: 15 minutes
cooking: 40 minutes
Makes 8 servings
- 900 ml (3 2/3 cups) unsalted chicken stock
- 375 ml (1 1/2 cups) green lentils, rinsed
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 sprigs of rosemary
- 4 tbsp. tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
- 110g (180ml / 3/4 cup) diced pancetta
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 4 sprigs of thyme
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 160 ml (2/3 cup) finely grated Parmesan cheese + a little for garnish (optional)
- In a large pot, add 1 liter (4 cups) water, chicken stock, lentils, bay leaves and rosemary. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium heat, heat 2 tbsp. tablespoon of olive oil. Add pancetta and cook until golden brown, 4 minutes. Add onion, carrots, garlic, thyme, salt, and pepper and cook until vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes. Add everything to the pot with the lentils and continue to cook, covered, until the lentils are tender, 15 minutes. Remove and discard the bay leaves, as well as the sprigs of rosemary and thyme. Add the parmesan. Divide among bowls and drizzle with olive oil (2 tablespoons total) and grated Parmesan, if desired.
• Cook lentils and vegetables separately to save time while enhancing flavor.
• Add Parmesan rind to the soup to give it even more flavor.